Smaller Default Larger

Woman plucking tea leaves at Bois CheriIt sounds like an amorous invitation, but it is in fact the name given to the tea factory - tea was introduced by the British - situated in the Highlands where the clouds that have travelled briskly over the southern seas take a halt to downpour some of their contents upon an already lush flora. In those earlier times, one still found the time to pick names full of charm and poetry for places, residences, factories even!

The descent toward the south of the island ends at a pretty colonial home, Le Saint Aubin, built in 1819 from timber salvaged from ships having reached the age of retirement. It was rebuilt on its actual site towards 1870 and renovated, in the 90's by an old carpenter and his family. A fine example of a piece of our architectural heritage, preserved for future generations. The menu highlights the products of native tang... Salad of Heart of Palm... smoked marlin, free-range chicken Creole style or in a natural vanilla (grown on the estate) sauce, coconut mousse... and for final ecstasy... a visit to the Maison du Rhum where a tasting of the traditional rum is a must.

The Tea Route, starts in Curepipe, in the highlands before descending towards the tea factory of Bois Cheri and ending at the colonial home of Saint Aubin, in the south. Ile aux Aigrettes, a tiny little island set only a few hundred metres from the main beach of Pointe Jerome, has been taken-over by the Mauritius Wildlife Foundation which-resolutely removes alien species of fauna and flora to replace them with their endemic counterparts. The extinct elements are reproduced in bronze for posterity.